Sun Surveyor predicts Sun & Moon positions with a 3D Compass, Interactive Map, Street View, Augmented Reality and a Details Ephemeris. Sun Surveyor is useful for film and photo location scouting, photographers, architecture, solar panel positioning, gardening, real estate, film grips, Earth Science geekery, and more! Plan for every sunrise, sunset and super moon!
Use the interactive controls to:
- Predict and plan for the golden hour, blue hour and every sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Find the time of year and angle to shoot a location at sunrise or sunset, or compositions involving the Moon
- View augmented reality projections of the sun and moon paths, pinpoint the time the sun or moon will be at a particular location in the sky
- Visualize the sun and moon throughout the day or over a year for any location on the earth
- Observe the Summer and Winter Solstice paths & Equinox paths for any location
- Sun & Moon bearing and altitude, Sunrise & Sunset, Shadow Ratio, Moon Rise & Set, Moon Phase & Illumination %, Twilight Times (Civil, Nautical, Astronomical), Summer and Winter Solstice Paths, Equinox Paths, Golden Hour and Blue Hour Times, Solar Noon, upcoming moon phase dates and a Super Moon finder!
- 3D Compass - A 3D projection of Sun and Moon positions and events overlaid onto a compass representing the device’s bearing and orientation in the world
- Augmented Reality - View through the device’s camera, visualize where the sun and moon will be in the sky, or when they will move behind a building
- Map View - A top-down view of Sun and Moon event positions overlaid onto an interactive map . Lock down your shooting point and align your shot with Sun & Moon events! Uses the new Google Maps API featuring Terrain maps and rotation and tilting of the map view. Also features elevation lookups and the ability to determine difference in vertical angles between two locations.
- Street View Panoramas - (new!) A 360 degree interactive panorama when available from the Map View for your selected location
- Widgets - 9 varieties of sun and moon widgets for your homescreen and lockscreen
- Import and Export of Locations - (new!) import Google Earth .kmz/.kml placemarks, and export to share with others or for backup purposes
- Time Machine Slider - Visualize events for a single day, or watch the days get longer and shorter and the Moon’s path get further and closer throughout a year
- Offline Usage (excludes Map View, Street View)
- Enter Coordinates, Save & Load Locations with no data connection or GPS available
- Send details and locations to colleagues
- Sun shadow ratio and projection, visualize the shadows cast from the Sun
- Moon distance, age, apogee, perigee, super moon predictions
- Local, Auto-Detect and Manual TimeZone selection
- Compensation for Magnetic Declination
- Elevation data for locations
- Languages: English, Deutsch, Français, 日本語, Italiano, Español, русский, Norsk (Bokmål), Dansk, Nederlands, 中文 (繁體), 中文 (简体), 한국의, čeština, Türkçe, Português (Brasil), Polski
** NOTE: the 3D Compass and Augmented Reality portions of this app make use of your device’s compass. Some devices (HTC One V, HTC Desire C, etc) do not have a compass. The Maps and Details portion will remain unaffected. I do not ban any devices from installing this app, as some people have more than one device, such as tablets without cameras, or compasses, and I will gladly refund users if the app is not working for them.
Did we miss something? Suggest an app:
"Apps for Pro Filmmakers" is a curated database of professional filmmaking apps that can help you get a job done a little better or a little faster. This is a regularly updated resource of 400 (and counting) mobile, tablet, watch, and now desktop apps. We only include apps made for and used by film, television, and digital media professionals.
"FWD:labs carries the most complete listing of linked professional apps I know besides of the fragmented Android Market (google play) and the iPhone App Store. I suspect it is a tenuous work to compile and link all proven working apps and much more your site offers. I thank you for sharing such complete list of iPhone and android apps for the cinematographer and the entertainment industry in general. I could not pass the opportunity let know my readers about your meticulous resource."FILMCAST
"[R]idiculously useful compendium"Directors Notes
"I thought [FWD:labs] had put together a useful list when I saw it last year, but that was nothing compared to now. If you're a filmmaker and looking for a little portable help in pre/production/post then chances are you'll find it in the Apps for Cinema Artists. I know I can be a little iPhone-centric when it comes to these things, but you’ll be pleased to know the list is completely platform agnostic."Directors Notes
Pretty much every iPhone or Android App you'll ever need/want if you're a filmmakerJosh Mandel @JMMandel
Great list of apps for cinematographers, directors and any A.D.'sMystery Directrix @MysteryDirectrx
Just stumbled on this great list of useful apps for filmmakersIndieground Films @indiegroundfilm