Shot Designer is a ground-breaking tool for Directors and DPs that creates Animated Camera Diagrams, with Shot List, Storyboards and Director’s Viewfinder.
“A great App for Directors and DP’s alike! Lightning fast shot designs. Don’t be without it on the set.” — John Badham, Director, Saturday Night Fever, WarGames
“Excellent tool for planning my scenes fast!” — Clint Reagan, Previz Supervisor, Hunger Games, Prometheus, Knight & Day, GI Joe
WHAT IS SHOT DESIGNER?
• CAMERA DIAGRAM - Shot Designer dramatically speeds up the Director’s process of making camera diagrams. Create full-blown diagrams in seconds. The software does most of the work.
• ANIMATION - Animate your characters and cameras to move around your diagram in real-time. Previsualize the rhythm of a scene by seeing it play out.
• SHOT LIST - The integrated Shot List is tied into the diagram and writes itself while you work. Edit shots intuitively in the diagram, not in a confusing spreadsheet.
• DIRECTOR’S VIEWFINDER / STORYBOARDS - Bring in lens-accurate camera angles via the integrated Director’s Viewfinder or Storyboard Import.
• MAC/PC DESKTOP VERSION - An identical Mac/PC Desktop Version is included with the Pro Version (in-app upgrade).
Watch the feature-demo at http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/sd_videos.html
CAMERA-BLOCKING ON STEROIDS
Shot Designer was developed by Per Holmes, the creator of the renowned Hollywood Camera Work training, and has been developed in conjunction with major TV and Film productions.
Shot Designer is based on the realization that neither Camera Diagrams, Shot Lists, or Storyboards by themselves give you a satisfying understanding of camera-blocking — you have to use them *together*.
Shot Designer is FAST. The app knows how Directing works and automatically does most of the work for you. Cameras rearrange themselves when you move characters. Animate characters and cameras with simple Walk To and Track To commands. Create sophisticated tracking shots with multiple marks. Shot Designer is fast enough that you can rearrange the diagram with actors waiting.
• Integrated Set Designer for building floor plans.
• Integrated Lighting Designer for DPs, with lighting symbols provided by Ari Golan of Atomic Imaging Studios Chicago.
• Import production drawings as backgrounds and block on top of them.
• Factory Templates of pre-made camera setups for any situation.
• Make your own templates as starting points for new scenes.
• Large and growing prop/furniture library. Email us requests, we’ll build them.
• Scene Freeze: Experiment easily by taking snapshots you can return to (Pro).
• PDF/JPG/Excel export and emailing of Camera Diagrams and Shot Lists (Pro).
• Unlimited Folder Structure for organizing scenes (Pro).
The Free Version of Shot Designer is full-featured except for Save and Export. Your current scene is always saved, and you can be fully productive working on one scene at a time. The Pro Version (in-app upgrade) adds File Management, identical Mac/PC Desktop Version, PDF/JPG/Excel Export, Scene Freeze and more.
Did we miss something? Suggest an app:
"Apps for Pro Filmmakers" is a curated database of professional filmmaking apps that can help you get a job done a little better or a little faster. This is a regularly updated resource of 400 (and counting) mobile, tablet, watch, and now desktop apps. We only include apps made for and used by film, television, and digital media professionals.
"FWD:labs carries the most complete listing of linked professional apps I know besides of the fragmented Android Market (google play) and the iPhone App Store. I suspect it is a tenuous work to compile and link all proven working apps and much more your site offers. I thank you for sharing such complete list of iPhone and android apps for the cinematographer and the entertainment industry in general. I could not pass the opportunity let know my readers about your meticulous resource."FILMCAST
"[R]idiculously useful compendium"Directors Notes
"I thought [FWD:labs] had put together a useful list when I saw it last year, but that was nothing compared to now. If you're a filmmaker and looking for a little portable help in pre/production/post then chances are you'll find it in the Apps for Cinema Artists. I know I can be a little iPhone-centric when it comes to these things, but you’ll be pleased to know the list is completely platform agnostic."Directors Notes
Pretty much every iPhone or Android App you'll ever need/want if you're a filmmakerJosh Mandel @JMMandel
Great list of apps for cinematographers, directors and any A.D.'sMystery Directrix @MysteryDirectrx
Just stumbled on this great list of useful apps for filmmakersIndieground Films @indiegroundfilm